On 24th February 2022, Russia had began an invasion of Ukraine in a major escalation of the Russo-Ukrainian War that began in 2014. It is the largest military attack in Europe since World War II. Till date, thousands of people, civilians including children and soldiers, have been killed. Let us join together for peace for both the countries and pray for the entire humanity!!!
On the side note, a huge thank you to those who had contributed in providing us with these recalls. Now let us do our part by solving these for you. You may get them from here.
Australian Medical Council (AMC) MCQ Recalls MARCH 2022 compilation
1) Paediatric case of acute tonsillitis. Ask for management. Abx or not?
2) Lice treatment
3) Asthma treatment
4) Enuresis in boy management
5) Constipation with overflow
6) Cholestatic jaundice pregnancy
7) Rubella vaccine in early pregnancy
8) Early pregnancy screening for downs most accurate
9) Bowel obstruction large and small
10) Urinary incontinence
11) Testicular cancer
12) COPD X-ray and management
13) ECGs stemi, mangement, mobitz type 1/wenkebach ECG
14) Rheumatic fever in rural child diagnostic tests
15) Gout with tophi
16) Cellulitis of obese abdomen antibiotic treatment
17) Breast bloody discharge, purulent discharge
18) Breast investigation for suspicious mass
19) Ovarian cancer
20) Cervical cancer screening (similar to past recall)
21) Benign adrenal gland mass found incidental
22) Alcoholic fatty liver
23) Acute pancreatitis imaging
24) Chronic pancreatitis
25) Cholestatic jaundice with ERCP
26) Hepatitis A,B,C vs EBV
27) HIV testing serology
28) Baby from Sudan with vitamin D deficiency
29) Farmer with cut on leg and broken leg
30) Melanocyte spreading on legs
31) Guillain barre tests
32) Lack of pincer grip and loss of sensation in 4 and 5 finger
33) Stats: sensitivity, incidence
34) Ethics competent patient, witnessing the signing of a will,
35) Psych schizophrenia; narcissistic pd, factious disorder, lithium and other drug interactions
36) Drug interactions and side effects
38) Bartholin gland Cyst management
39) Knee injury after minor fall in child
40) Slipped upper femoral epiphysis overweight child
41) Pilonidal cyst management
42) Haemorrhoids and management
43) Hydradenitis suppritiva
44) Child with labial adhesions after irritant bubble bath management
45) Child with vomiting and bright red blood in stools but still only breast feeding
46) Intussusception vs enterocolitis milk allergy
47) Child with sneezing runny nose and fevers management
48) Acute limb ischemia management
49) Bisphosphonate tests before starting
50) DKA mangement
51) Interpreting blood gas analysis after severe vomiting and dehydration
52) Blood gas analysis in person attempted suicide with car exhaust fumes
54) Delirium management
55) 17 yr old wants to discharge self with 10% burns for conservative management
56) Need an interpreter in hospital who is best? Security guard, nurse, pts sibling, or wait for phone translator to be ready
(but pt sustained facial injuries emergency)
57) Orbital floor fracture signs
58) Pelvic organ prolapse management
60) Anorexia nervosa signs
61) Primary amenorrhea
62) High prolactin in pt on antipsychotics
63) Paeds: Hereditary spherocytosis with very low iron, management
64) Anaemia of chronic disease iron treatment
65) Post menopausal bleeding management
66) Lower back pain patient prescribed oxycodone now using heroin for pain management
67) Psych pt on many drugs for bipolar etc what is cause of her hair loss
68) Infant with meningitis management
69) Contraceptive advice for young girl – mother and sister both had unprovoked DVTs
70) Pregnant lady with PE and DVT very high pretest probability (obese, recent plane ride, pregnant, tachycardia, swollen leg)
71) Nut allergy in restaurant previously happened when eating carrot cake? Gluten allergy?
72) Severe headache with facial pain
73) Severe headache with ptosis and fixed dilated pupil
74) Trauma head injury 3 hours away by plane to neurosurgery unit management
75) 8-wk-old boy born at 31 wks gestation via cesarean delivery for preeclampsia with severe features & breech presentation is in routine follow-up. Appropriate immunization scheduling?
a/ Immunizations are given according to the chronologic age
b/ Immunizations are given according to the corrected gestational age
c/ Immunizations are given when weight ≥4 kg
d/ Toxoid vaccines are given according to chronologic age, but live attenuated vaccines are given according to corrected gestational age
76) 19-yr-old woman complains of continuous clear, slightly malodorous vaginal discharge. Vagina pH of 6. She is 6 wks postpartum from a vaginal delivery of a stillborn baby. Exam shows a small, red area of granulation tissue on the anterior vaginal wall. Establish diagnosis by?
a/ Bladder dye test
b/ Cervical nucleic acid amplification test
77) 19-yr-old man involved in a motor vehicle collision complains of abdominal pain in the left upper quadrant. A Focused Assessment with Sonography for Trauma (FAST) exam reveals free fluid in the left subphrenic space. Next step?
a/ CT scan of abdomen and pelvis
b/ Diagnostic peritoneal lavage
78) 24-yr-old woman sexually assaulted by a male coworker. She is tearful & avoids eye contact. She is also anxious about STD. Otherwise, police notified. Exam shows tender abrasions on labia minora. Emergency contraception given. Next step?
a/ Admission for inpatient psychiatric evaluation
b/ Empiric sexually transmitted infection treatment
79) 56-yr-old woman comes with worsening fatigue & edema. Family history is significant for hypothyroidism in her sister. Exam reveals mild hepatomegaly & pitting edema of the bilateral lower extremities. Cause?
80) 4-hr-old boy is evaluated for routine newborn care. A soft mass inferior to the umbilical stump is 1.4 cm in diameter & covered by skin. The mass increases in size when the infant cries & reduces into the abdominal cavity with gentle pressure. Next step?
a/ Abdominal ultrasound
b/ Immediate surgery
c/ Observation only
81) 65-yr-old man comes due to tremor in his left hand & stiffness in his left arm. Generalized slowness in movements & loses balance when he tries to turn or stop suddenly while walking. Next step?
a/ CT scan of the head
b/ MRI of the head
c/ No additional diagnostic testing needed
82) 38-yr-old woman comes with left anteromedial knee swelling, mildly tender on palpation. Has type 2 diabetes mellitus. BMI is 35 kg/m2. 4-cm area of swelling, 3 cm below the joint line. Next step?
a/ Diagnostic aspiration of the swollen area
b/ Immobilization with a rigid knee brace
c/ Quadriceps and hamstring muscle exercises
83) 23-yr-old man comes with right wrist pain. During a baseball game, he landed forcefully on his outstretched right hand with the palm facing down. Maximal tenderness proximal to the base of the first metacarpal & the pain worsens with radial deviation of the wrist. Next step?
a/ Analgesics and physical therapy
b/ Local anesthetic and corticosteroid injection
c/ Thumb spica splint and repeat radiography in 10 days
84) 30-yr-old woman complains of increasing muscle weakness in her hands. In a motor vehicle collision 7 yrs ago whereby she sustained a whiplash cervical spine injury. Exam reveals moderate wasting of the small muscles of the hand, impaired pain & temp sensation. Diagnosis?
a/ Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
b/ Cervical spondylosis
85) 31-yr-old woman comes due to fatigue & weight gain. Under stress at work lately, feeling “down” & stopped socializing with friends. On mental status exam she appears sad & tired but is able to smile when appropriate. Diagnosis?
a/ Adjustment disorder
b/ Major depressive disorder
86) 45-yr-old woman comes due to frequent nighttime cough & wheezing. Lately, similar episodes during daytime. Medical history includes hypertension, hyperlipidemia & obesity. JVP is 3 cm H2O. Lungs show good air movement with expiratory wheezes & no crackles. Pathogenesis of symptoms?
a/ Gastric acid–induced laryngeal irritation
b/ Hypertrophic occlusion of the pulmonary arteries
c/ Leukocyte-induced bronchoconstriction
87) 27-yr-old man is brought with an anterior abdominal stab injury. Undergoes urgent exploratory laparotomy. Anesthesia terminated after successful repair of liver & small intestinal lacerations. Prior readings: BP 160/90, pulse 130, respirations 9. An hour later,BP 110/60, pulse 70, respirations 7. Reason for postoperative findings?
a/ Acute cardiogenic pulmonary edema
b/ Anesthesia-induced hypermetabolic state
c/ Delayed emergence from anesthesia
88) 7-mth-old girl is brought due to decreased use of her left arm. Born at 31 wks gestation to 25-yr-old primigravid who received corticosteroids, tocolytics & magnesium sulfate for preterm labor management. Brain MRI shows white matter injury adjacent to the right lateral ventricle. Cause?
a/ Delivery at preterm gestation
b/ Inherited thrombophilia
89) 42-yr-old woman is evaluated for sudden-onset tachycardia & dyspnea 15 min after surgery. Underwent a dilation & curettage for gestational trophoblastic diseases complicated by intraoperative bleeding that required 2 units of packed red blood cells. Diagnosis?
a/ Disseminated intravascular coagulation
b/ Malignant hyperthermia
90) 25-yr-old woman with asthma comes with severe shortness of breath after been exposed to some cleaning chemicals. Noninvasive ventilation is started & continuous nebulized albuterol & intravenous methylprednisolone are administered. Hours later, she has muscle weakness. Next step?
a/ Carboxyhemoglobin level
b/ Discontinuation of corticosteroid
c/ Serum electrolyte level
91) 49-yr-old woman comes with depression. Medical history is significant for obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus & hypercholesterolemia. Major depressive disorder is diagnosed. Pharmacotherapy?
92) “CAGE” is used to screen for alcohol use disorder. 2 out of 4 positive responses is considered to be positive for AUD. If it changed to 3 out of 4, what is the effect on the sensitivity & specificity of this test?
a/ Both sensitivity and specificity of the test will decrease
b/ Both sensitivity and specificity of the test will increase
c/ Sensitivity will decrease but specificity will increase
93) 84-yr-old woman with Alzheimer dementia is reported to be found on the floor next to her bed. She is in pain. Her right leg appears shorter than her left. Able to wiggle her toes. No evidence of head trauma & the lower leg compartments are soft. Diagnosis?
a/ Femoral neck fracture
b/ Femoral shaft fracture
94) A term newborn is evaluated. 1/6 systolic murmur at the left upper sternal border that radiates to the axilla. Underdeveloped penis. Urethral meatus is at the ventral surface of the base & flanked by the surrounding scrotal sac. Gonads are not palpable. Back shows a sacral dimple. Next step?
b/ Head ultrasound
c/ Karyotype analysis
95) A healthy 22-yr-old woman, gravida 2 para 1, comes for a routine prenatal visit. 28 wks pregnant, no bleeding, fluid leakage or uterine contractions & feels fetal movement. Next step?
a/ Anti-D immune globulin
b/ Group B Streptococcus
96) 12-yr-old girl diagnosed with idiopathic aplastic anemia is given a platelet transfusion. Patient develops diffuse,urticaria rash on her chest that spreads to the rest of the body. Transfusion is stopped & patient receives diphenhydramine. Rash improves slightly. Next step?
a/ Culture of the transfused product
b/ Direct antibody (Coombs) test
c/ No additional evaluation indicated
97) 54-yr-old woman fell & landed forcefully on her left palm. Maximal tenderness at the dorsoradial wrist lateral to the tendon of the extensor pollicis longus. Radiographs reveal a radiolucent line across the waist of the scaphoid bone. Treated with analgesics & immobilization. Potential complications?
a/ Bacterial tenosynovitis
b/ Fat embolism
98) 37-yr-old gravida 1 para 0, at 34 weeks gestation comes with nausea, vomiting & severe epigastric pain. Fetal heart rate 170 with minimal variability. Tenderness to palpation over the epigastrium & right upper quadrant, with no rebound or guarding. Given blood result, hypoglycemia with raised AST, ALT, bilirubin, amylase and thrombocytopenia. Diagnosis?
a/ Acetaminophen toxicity
b/ Acute cholecystitis
c/ Acute fatty liver of pregnancy
99) 17-yr-old white female comes for evaluation of fatigue present for the past 4 mths. Exam shows scars on the dorsum of her hands & dental erosions. Urine chloride concentration is 15 mmol/L. Diagnosis?
a/ Chronic diarrhea
b/ Diuretic abuse
c/ Surreptitious vomiting
100) 12-yr-old boy has a cystic left neck mass & a small pit anterior to the sternocleidomastoid muscle that is leaking mucopurulent fluid. 1 mth ago, he had a fever & upper respiratory tract infection symptoms. Diagnosis?
a/ Actinomyces lymphadenitis
b/ Branchial cleft cyst
101) 40-yr-old woman is brought with sudden-onset, severe headache, progressive right-sided weakness & slurred speech. Decreased pinprick sensation in the right upper & lower extremities. A noncontrast CT scan of the head reveals a left thalamic hemorrhage with no midline shift. Etiology?
a/ Carotid Doppler study
c/ Urine toxicology screen
102) 49-yr-old woman complains of heavy menses. US reveals a 3 × 4 cm intramural leiomyoma, a thin endometrium & normal-appearing ovaries. Outcome for leiomyoma?
a/ Intermittent torsion
b/ Malignant transformation
c/ Spontaneous regression
103) 16-yr-old girl is brought for a routine health maintenance exam. Sexually active with one partner for the past 2 yrs & takes oral contraceptive daily. Patient’s parents have type 2 diabetes mellitus. Her maternal grandfather died of a myocardial infarction at age 68. Next step?
a/ Chlamydia and gonorrhea testing
104) 30-yr-old gravida 3 para 2, at 37 wks gestation comes for regular, painful contractions. Tocodynamometer shows contractions every 3-4 min. Cervix is 4 cm dilated, 90% effaced & a taut, bulging bag is palpable with no presenting fetal part. Next step?
b/ Cesarean delivery
c/ Transabdominal ultrasound
105) 50-yr-old woman has bilateral symmetric 3+ pitting edema of both lower extremities, without any skin changes or varicosities. Edema started 6 wks ago. Medical history is significant for hypertension, treated with metoprolol for 3 yrs. 2 mths ago, amlodipine was added. Cause?
a/ Heart failure
b/ Liver disease
c/ Medication side effect
106) 42-yr-old woman comes for evaluation of a 2-cm mass on the extensor surface of her right wrist. Mass is firm, mobile & nontender to palpation & it transilluminates on penlight exam. Medical conditions include hyperlipidemia & rheumatoid arthritis. Diagnosis?
a/ Epidermoid cyst
b/ Ganglion cyst
107) 12-yr-old boy is brought by his parents as “he cannot walk anymore.” 2 wks ago, had a febrile diarrheal. Recently visited a petting zoo. Symmetric flaccid paralysis of the lower extremities & absent ankle & patellar deep tendon reflexes. Sensation is intact to light touch. Structures impaired?
a/ Anterior horn cells
b/ Dorsal and lateral spinal columns
c/ Peripheral nerve fibers
108) Physician-researcher study the effectiveness of a novel nerve stimulator device for chronic pain. He has received payments for lectures about the device. The device will be tested as part of a large double-blinded, randomized clinical trial. It is funded partially by the device manufacturer and federal gov as nonpharmaceutical mx of pain as a high national research priority. The researcher has previously received payments from the device manufacturer for lectures about the device given at national conferences. The physician and support staff from the institution will be responsible for study design and implementation, and an academic researcher and biostatistician from the manufacturing company will oversee analysis of study results. Which of the following best describes the potential for COI generated by the manufacturer’s involvement in the research?
a/ COI is likely present and can be sufficiently addressed by disclosing financial relationships to the subjects
b/ COI is likely present, and the proposed study should not proceed under these terms due to high risk of bias
109) 81-yr-old woman comes due to worsening shortness of breath associated with nausea, diaphoresis. Medical history is significant for hypertension, hyperlipidemia & type 2 diabetes mellitus. Bilateral crackles are heard on lung auscultation. IV furosemide is administered. Next step?
a/ Dopamine infusion and transfer to the cardiac intensive care unit
b/ Emergency cardiac catheterization
110) 44-yr-old man with extensive small bowel resection for Crohn disease has been on total parenteral nutrition for 2 yrs. Has epigastric & right upper quadrant pain. Ultrasonogram shows several gallstones. Cause?
a/ Estrogen-induced increase in cholesterol secretion
b/ Gallbladder stasis
111) 56-yr-old woman on routine check. Postmenopausal for 4 yrs & not using hormone therapy. Has well-controlled hypertension & hyperlipidemia. 2 cesarean deliveries & a tubal ligation with her last delivery at age 30. Pap test shows endometrial cells & no cervical intraepithelial lesions. No mention about HPV test. Next step?
b/ Endometrial biopsy
112) 6-yr-old boy on annual wellness check. An abdominal mass is palpated in the right upper quadrant. A common bile duct cyst is identified by abdominal ultrasound & confirmed by MR cholangiopancreatography. Next step?
a/ Serial abdominal ultrasounds to screen for cirrhosis
b/ Serial abdominal ultrasounds to screen for malignancy
c/ Surgery now to prevent malignancy
113) 2-yr-old boy is brought due to difficulty breathing that started 6 hrs earlier. Diagnosed with croup, administered oral dexamethasone. Oxygen saturation is 96% & respirations 40/min. Patient has inspiratory stridor at rest & subcostal & intercostal retractions. Next step?
a/ Chest radiograph
b/ Intubation and mechanical ventilation
c/ Nebulized racemic epinephrine
114) 46-yr-old man comes for follow-up due to a B/P reading of 150/95 during a preemployment exam. Ex-smoker with a 10-pack-yr history. Family history of hypertension & his father died of a stroke at age 68. BMI 29. Screening for?
a/ Abdominal aortic aneurysm
b/ Brain aneurysm
c/ Diabetes mellitus